Wednesday 15 April 2009

New Opportunities

So, something cool happened. I got offered a free - yes, free - place on a 10 week fashion design course at a local design college. This is freaking amazing. You see, I always thought I should have been a fashion designer. As a young 'un, I would constantly be drawing dresses, shoes, bags etc, and even won national competitions and had designs made up into actual garments...but never pursued it any further than that. 

Why? Well, I think I probably listened to all those people who tell you to stop being a dreamer - the ones who said stuff like "Designing dresses will never pay your mortgage you know" - yeah, tell that to Karl Lagerfeld, pal. Anyway, I went down the corporate route, built up a pretty good career, which has just pretty much fallen apart, thanks to this lovely economy. 

But, was I happy? Was I hell. I pretty much detested what I'd become, not because of the organisations that I was working within or the people I worked with, but because I didn't feel the passion in what I was doing - it was like dating some guy that was "kinda ok" - believe me, this career I had was no heartbreaker. 

So now I find myself at the crossroads - and look what turning just opened up - the fashion highway....

2 comments:

  1. Congratulations and best of luck to you! I used to draw fashions as a child, also - but mostly shoes, elaborately drawn in detail. To this day I still like the type of shoes I drew back then - sneakers (yeah, I know.) And I never drew dresses - and never wear them now. :o/ :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I have recently fallen in love with acting, and am probably the only one out of my entire graduating class pursuing such an unstable career, but I couldn't be happier to be going against the grain! Follow your passion!!!!!! And never listen to people who kill your dreams, anything is possible!! :)

    ReplyDelete